HomeSafe is a “Keeping Families Together” pilot for Essex, Passaic and Hudson Counties (NJ) in which FAMILYConnections partners with state organizations to provide supportive housing, counseling and care management for families in which parent(s) have a history of both homelessness and child welfare involvement and other stressors. The program goal is for families involved with the Division of Child Protection and Permanency (DCP&P) to be safely, healthfully, and permanently reunified in their own homes.
Eligibility & Referral Information
- All referrals must come from DCPP with the goal of reunification or stabilization
- Homelessness or inability to find appropriate housing is a barrier to reunification or stabilization
- Multiple stressors which could include: mental health and/or substance abuse diagnosis
- In-home therapeutic individual/family counseling
- Peer support groups
- Psychoeducational parenting skills group
- Monitoring/support/linkage to treatment services.
- Assistance in selecting and obtaining housing through a DCF/DMHAS/DCA subsidy
- Assistance with furnishing home and other household needs
- Utilities assistance
- Assistance with applying for all eligible public assistance programs
- Assistance with linkage to job training, GED courses, primary healthcare, and contact with children’s schools.
Examples of Issues We Address
- Challenges involved with family reunification process and DCPP involvement
- Advocacy in child welfare court
- Transitional challenges related to being housed
- Mental health and trauma related issues
- Substance abuse issues
Questions? Contact Alex Riley at 973-715-5715 or email@example.com.