Founded in 1879, FAMILYConnections is a non-profit community based counseling and family service agency. Every day, we help children, adults and families transform their lives for the better through the provision of innovative counseling, skills-building, training and prevention services. No other agency offers our wide range of specialized services for all ages. We are leaders in the industry.
Our goal is to serve the complex needs of our communities. This includes early childhood social and emotional development, adolescent development and safety, trauma, mental illness, addiction, unemployment, poverty, domestic violence, child abuse and neglect.
We are guided by ten Core Values that insure every day that
our work is:
- Culturally Competent
- Family Centered
- Goal Driven
- Quality Driven
- Barrier Free, and
We are constantly seeking and developing new strategies for the best client outcomes; for example:
- We continually update our professional skills in mental health treatment – currently focusing in the area of trauma informed treatment – and also offer innovative therapeutic in-home and in-school programs.
- We have a rigorous Quality Assurance (QA) program which calls for all of our programs to track outcome data, so that we can systematically monitor and improve our performance.
- We have developed an extensive Cultural Competence program to insure that all staff perform their duties with cultural competence – both towards each other and towards our consumers. In this effort, we have been recognized as a model agency by the International Institute of New Jersey.
- We have garnered a state-wide reputation for developing highly successful models of early childhood social and emotional development as well as family reunification services (Reunity House).
- And, to supplement all this therapeutic work, we offer case management, advocacy and linkage to concrete services through many of our programs – all free of charge to our consumers.
In the past decade, FAMILYConnections has tripled in size and quadrupled the number of children and families we serve. We have succeeded because of the commitment and passion of our staff, and our highly dedicated Board of Trustees and our donors.
FAMILYConnections, Inc., formerly Family Service and Child Guidance Center is the result of the merger of two organizations. The Family and Children’s Service Agency, which was established in 1959, was originally founded in 1879 as the Registry Society. The Child Guidance Clinic was established in 1948. The mission of both of these agencies was similar; to serve the needs of children and families in the communities of the Oranges, Maplewood, and Millburn-Short Hills.
The merger of these two agencies in 1969, created the Family Service and Child Guidance Center, which provided the community with a rich array of programs and services. The primary focus of the agency continued to be on strengthening family life and supporting the family system. Thus, in 1997, the Board of Trustees changed the name of the agency to FAMILYConnections, Inc.